Sunday 10 February 2013

Moving Image Formats about Food- Blog 4

Hi everybody, I have bought more food films, so I have a few more things to review.

 No Reservations (2007) 

About the film-
The film stars Catherine Zeta John as character Kate, a busy career woman as a Head Chef in a successful restaurant. After her sister dies in an unsuspected car accident, leaving her with her orphaned niece (Abigail Breslin), she has to balance her work, being a new parent by looking after her niece as well as everything in between. Due to her absence from work, insisted by the restaurant manager, she is temporarily replaced by a new young male chef, Nick (played by Aaron Eckhart). Once Kate returns to work, there is conflict and tension between the two. After the passion for food and cooking, as well as looking after the niece Zoe, the two chefs are spiralled in a whirlwind of romance as well as a love/hate relationship. 


The Feel of the film-
 
Despite family loss and romance fuelling this film, it is all centred around the passion and love of food and cooking. I admit that food does take a slight back seat within this film, it is however used to turn negative situations into positives. Character Zoe is finding it hard to live with her aunt, and missing her mother, so Nick and Kate use the influence of food, and the curiosity of learning about it, in order to create a friendship between them all. There are a few moments between Kate and Zoë where you can tell they are both thinking the same thing- about the mother/sister who died, as well as that they both miss her. 
 The romance element to the film is gradual, having the main characters come together through the care of Zoë as well as trying to out do each other in the restaurant kitchen. It is nice to see two people coming together over something they are interested or passionate about. Most films just have two people falling in love for other reasons, whereas in reality people do normally get together because of things they enjoy. So it is enjoyable to see Catherine and Aaron’s characters have some sort of ground to them, and despite their professions not being an average person’s job, it still has average people’s problems and feelings about things. On the other hand it is quite exotic, falling in love over the aspect of food- oohh.

As for the food aspect to the film, it is amazing the food that is created within the story. The feel of food is up-market, expensive and small portions. Kate is stuck to find food that her niece likes, which I found quite funny as she has spent so long cooking elaborate dishes, average food has gone from her mind. but with the help of Nick, they all find happiness in life together, through the use of food. 

The overall feel of the movie had me in debate. some aspects had dark and upsetting undertones, however others were light, with a family good feel to it. 

 
My personal experience-
My favourite pieces to the film were when the characters were cooking or the scenes that were set within the restaurant kitchen. I feel that this is because, I find not only cooking amazing, but also the face-paced cooking environment brilliant to watch, learn from and work in. Looking at the kitchen scenes just makes me want to go into cooking and food servicing even more. I have had experience working within a café environment, and have got into cooking more recently, so seeing the set up and the work within the kitchen set filled me with passion and urgency. 


As well as this, looking at the food that they were cooking has given me a taste of high-class restaurant food. I have not had many chances myself to try really expensive or mouthwatering dishes, so seeing what goes on back stage and, what and how they make it was very interesting. What was of a fascination to me was what happened when a customer sends a meal back to the cook or chef. I do realise that the reaction of Catherine’s character was done for the film and entertainment only, but it did make me wonder, how chefs and cooks do react if that happens. You put heart and soul, time, sweat and energy on making a meal for someone, and they have a problem with it or don’t like it. I sort of know how they feel, now I am getting better at cooking (my partner is enjoying my meals), I don't want there to be anything wrong with the food I cook. I am now going to feel bad about sending food back to the kitchens next time I'm eating out. 

Overall a good film, and it defiantly hints as using food as a coping mechanism, as well as what food means to different people.  However I would have liked for there to have been more descriptive and expression of food within some scenes. A good film with a dark undertone which displays a comfort in the love of food, and an insight into the food and restaurant business.

No comments:

Post a Comment